Saturday, December 31, 2011

Why go back?!


Dear Friends and Family,

It has been such a long time since I have written a blog post! I would like to update you all on what God has been doing and what He has placed on my heart since my return from Ghana.
God does not let a day go by where I am not reminded of my eye opening experience in Ghana, Africa in 2010. With life steadily moving forward along with God’s provision and answers to prayer, I am surrounded by work, family, and friends. As each day passes, God has been faithful to change, mold and open my eyes to not only the world’s desperate need for Him, but also for my hearts need for Him in every hour of every day! West African Mercy Ministries has been a bold witness to God’s abounding love and generous mercy. The lives I have seen God touch and change through this ministry calls my heart to truly worship in a way I have never done before.

So why go back? I was unaware of how God was going to change my heart and life after I returned from Ghana. Christ has not ceased in giving me the longing to return, but has let His love and heart for the abandoned, sick and those who have disabilities grow with more passion in my heart than ever before! What a joy it is to give your life up to the God Who so graciously loved us enough to send His Son. His Word tells us to give His love to those around us, the love that He pours on us every moment of every day. My prayer is that everyone will come to the realization that they need Christ in their life; not only for saving life, but to experience that indescribable joy when He is the source of our life here and now. I am too weak to do anything on my own and I pray that I will find my strength in Him alone.



I will be returning to Ghana on April 1st of 2012, and am praying that I will be able to stay for at least one year. God has really placed it on my heart to go back and help for a longer period of time. I will be helping out at the Baby HOMe where the sick and abandoned babies are who desperately need love and care. I will also be visiting the deaf and handicapped at Echoing Hills from time to time and hopefully polish up my sign language so that I can communicate. I am going to be helping with the mission teams that plan on coming from the U.S. through the summer months with the McIntyres. Brian and Debbie and their family are going back to the U.S. on furlough at the end of the summer. I will be staying in Ghana and taking care of their house until they return the following spring.

During my last visit in Ghana, I saw God’s faithfulness in so many ways. It was such a blessing to have a great group of people praying for me here in the U.S. during my last journey. I was so encouraged and it was definitely needed! It is so important for the Body of Christ to join together in spreading the love of Christ and I cannot thank you all enough for your generosity, support and encouragement during my last trip. I have been working for almost a year with a job that God has so graciously given me here in the U.S. and I have been able to save up enough to purchase my ticket. I should have some money left to cover the beginning of my living expenses in Ghana. Because I will be staying there for the entire year, I know I will not be able to cover all my expenses alone during my whole stay.



I will not worry. Instead, I will thankfully rest in the Truth of His unchanging faithfulness. I know without a doubt that God has placed it on my heart to return so I will trust He will keep me there for the amount of time He has planned.

If any of you would like to follow my blog while I am Ghana please go to www.selinairene.blogspot.com. If any of you are interested in getting personal updates and letters, please email me your address at selinairene27@yahoo.com

If anyone is interested in receiving Brian and Debbie’s online newsletters of their ministry, send a blank email to join@wamminc.org. You will then be added to their contact list.
If God has inclined you to give financially, you can send your donation with earmark “Selina Byykkonen, Ghana” to one of the following locations:

Calvary Baptist Church 105 Iroquois Drive, Negaunee, MI 49866

OR

Eastwood Apostolic Lutheran Church
121 Sunset Drive, Negaunee, MI 49866

If you would like to send it to my house or call me at anytime please email me at: selinairene27@yahoo.com for the information!


2 comments:

  1. WOW! I am sooo excited for you Selina! I look forward to the updates. You are one of the few people from the BI that I truly like to follow. Maybe its because you are in my mother country, but its probably b/c you are such an encouragement. KEEP IT UP! FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jaco!!! I hope you are doing well! I have been keeping up with your updates at well! Very cool to see what God is doing in your life! :)

    ReplyDelete