Sunday, September 19, 2010

Jesus Christ is the answer








I AM IN AFRICA!! I am here finally in Accra, Ghana! :) I arrived safe with no hassles concerning my flights and luggage. The first realization that I was going to an African country was when I found my gate in London to go to Ghana. Let’s just say I was definitely NOT in the majority. :) After I received my luggage the McIntyre’s were ready to greet me at the airport in Accra. It was late when I arrived so I didn’t get to see a whole lot the first night I was here. I was just SO happy and thankful to the Lord to finally land and get off the plane after traveling 22 plus hours. THANKS to all that were praying for my preparation and duration of getting to Africa. I just want all of you to know that the Lord is so faithful and brought me here safe and with no problems to deal with. God is so good!


I am so excited to finally be here. I have been praying for so long for an opportunity to serve Him overseas. The last couple days have been just “transitioning” days. I am currently trying to get on a regular sleeping pattern again. I am getting there! :) I got to meet the two little ones staying at the house with us. They are absolutely adorable and I already love them to death!
Today was a full day, but SO good. We woke up this morning to go to church at Echoing Hills. Echoing Hills is a handicap facility that I will be volunteering at a couple days a week. I will also be helping taking care of the babies with the McIntyre’s. The church service was wonderful and so neat to see how a different cultures worship the Lord. I  introduced myself to the people and got so excited to start working there!! I will be learning sign language while I am there as well!! Later on that day I got to go to the children ministry at the Yam Market. This is the “slums” of Acrra. It broke my heart so much to see people living this way and humbled me to see the children still so loving and thankful. I can’t describe what I saw, but that it was a life changing experience, for I have never seen anything like that before. Me and Emily, (a girl I met who is working at another orphanage), are going to start going there every Sunday to help out with the Sunday School! I want to go back so bad and brighten just a part of their day with the encouragement of Christ. Everybody was so happy to see us there. They are fascinated by getting their picture taken. haha Kids would be pulling and swarming around me trying to look at the picture I took of them. It was so much fun. I hope that I will be able to build relationships with the older people there as well and share the gospel with them. We asked one of people we were with on the way back, “What would have to happen in order to start improving and changing these conditions?” He said “Jesus Christ”. He said two words, but they couldn’t be any clearer. Christ is the basis for true change to take place anywhere in this world. People need Christ! I am so excited to share this with them!



I can’t imagine anywhere else I would rather be than here.

Jesus Christ is the answer!







(Emily and I)

4 comments:

  1. I love your pictures Selina! I am so glad that you are adjusting and getting involved I'm so exctied you're going to get to help out at the Yam market, i think that was my favorite place we visited while I was there. The Kids are so precious! I am praying for you and I love you and I think you're really great.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is soo awesome, Selina. Your entry was very moving. How exciting it is to see what God has called you to do.

    Prayers for you and the children. Love you...

    Jess and Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Selina, I am thrilled to hear you made it safely and are working with the kids. This Thursday we start up Awana's and it was truly a blessing to work with you last year, you were great with the boys and your joyful spirit was always encouraging. I know that God will use you mightly to bring Him Glory! Prayers for you my friend. Blessings, Jennifer Michaels

    ReplyDelete
  4. KIM! :) Yes I am SOOO excited to work at that ministry!!! It def. broke my heart and I can't wait to brighten up their days with the love of Christ! The children were so precious!!!

    YES Jess thanks for the prayers! I am so glad I have your family praying for me!


    Jenn! How HAVE YOU BEEN?! I am so excited to hear that you are doing Awana again this year! :) That make me so happy. I miss you! I loved working with you in Awana! Thanks for the prayers Jen!

    ReplyDelete