Friday, October 1, 2010

2 weeks have already gone by!



Akwaaba! (Welcome in Twi) I have been here for two weeks now! I am trying to learn some Twi (one of the main dialects here in Accra). I am sure the Ghanaians here are being entertained by my way of trying to speak their language. :)  Time has flown by so far.  I love it here. God is so faithful to provide this awesome opportunity and allow me to stay with such a loving and caring family. 

Last week I got to go on a three hour road trip to the slave ships and see where the slavery took place here in Ghana with the British and the Dutch.  It was so interesting, but very sad. I enjoyed the car ride there…I could have looked out the window all day and watched how people go about living their lives. So many markets, giant crowds, people selling, buying, bargaining, and the honking of cars and CRAZY traffic! :) There was so much going on! I LOVE IT! I have seen how DIFFERENT the way of life is here, but how fascinating! Now I want to learn why they do the things they do! 



I have been working at Echoing Hills the last couple of days! This is a home for the disabled to stay. In the mornings I help out in a class for the disabled ranging in all levels.  In the afternoons I get a sign language lesson from a couple of the deaf boys at Echoing Hills. I enjoyed it. I have to admit, today was my real first lesson and it is kind of overwhelming at first to try to pick up on some signs. My brain was tired by the end, but I will be very excited when I will actually be able to carry a conversation. (this will take a long while of course). :)


I also have been helping out here at the house with the two precious babies, Ko-Jo and Julianna.  I don’t think I will ever get tired of giving those hugs and kisses.  Me and Jessie, Bryan and Debbie’s daughter, go on walks and spend girl to girl time. She is such a sweet girl. :) “Oburoni…Oburoni” (name for a white person) is often what we hear wherever we go. Also many will say, “εte sεn?” (what’s up)  in passing, I would then respond with “Eyε” (aye-yeh), “I’m fine”. I am finding that in having a couple of weeks under my belt, I am now feeling more comfortable to start diving into their culture and actually try to understand it. I am so glad I will be here for another five months! 
God has been so good to me. I am enjoying making new friends and loving the people. :)  I hope you enjoyed reading my update!! Thank you all for your prayers, it means so much!!!!
                                                                                                Prayer requests:
For the babies here at the house. Julianna  is very sick. Pray that they will soak up all the love that we are pouring out and feel at home.
For the ministry at echoing hills… That I would be able to communicate clearly through my lessons and that I would be able to pick up sign language fairly quickly.
This Sunday’s street ministry at the slums would go smoothly and that the children would retain what we are trying to teach them!!
For all of us in the McIntyre household…. That we will keep our focus on glorifying the Lord in all we do through the ministry here!
For myself and my focus on the Lord…Pray that I would remember why I am here and that is to spread the love and gospel of Christ.

In Christ,
Selina



8 comments:

  1. Selina! It's so exciting to read about what you're doing! I am praying for you that you'd have the experience of a lifetime! Can't wait to read what else God is doing over there!
    Love you and miss you heaps!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm keeping up with your blog, love the updates. I'm glad you have another 5 mths too, praying for you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, God is Good isn't He! Looking forward to more updates. I would love to show this to the youth group and Awana kids. We will definitely be praying for you and the children, over there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Selina-wow such a humbling experience you are having. How very exciting...I am loving this blog. We will be praying for you and the work of our lord.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Selina, Your blog is so good to read! I love seeing the pictures of where you're at and the people you're with. I am praying for you and your families. Thank you for keeping us updated. It makes the experience much richer for us! We really miss you and look forward to seeing you when you get back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry Selina I'm new at this. B is for Bonnie and family :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Selina, I feel like I need to tell you that I think people like you are just absolutely wonderful! Simply put. You're impacting lives like you'd never imagine! The world needs more people who have that constant passion, that everlasting flame for Christ. People who are so dedicated to the Lord like this are an inspiration to me. It constantly reminds me to be the best witness possible...to show people with my actions (not just words) who I say I am...however I'm far from perfect.

    Anyway, you're awesome. Keep the updates comin', take it easy, and God bless!

    -Caleb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for the prayers!!! I say this over and over, but it means so much!

    Bonnie I miss you all! I have to come and visit again soon! :) I love you all so so much.


    Will, that would be great to show it to the Awana kids!

    Caleb,
    Hey!!! Thanks for the encouragement!!
    I pray that you are on fire for the Lord and showing him to those around you as well! You have always been such a great person. Stay on fire for HIM! :)
    God is so good! I am FAR from perfect too, but it is so awesome to see the Lord work and how faithful He is!
    God bless,
    Selina

    ReplyDelete