Sunday, April 15, 2012

Hello again!







I am typing this blog entry, at 3:30 in the afternoon with the windows open trying to get as much breeze as I possibly can. Today is Sunday so I got up this morning and went to church, and visited and ate at a friends house for lunch. I am now home and I am having a electrician fix some things around the house. I have come to find out here in Ghana that the extreme heat takes it out of you! haha I am exhausted, but in my mind it doesn't seem like I have done a lot today. Ah yes, coming from MI, USA...with just experiencing 7 months of snow to 100 degrees and extreme humidity is quite a change!! haha (don't get me wrong, I would take this heat OVER SNOW ANY DAY)




















I love the many sounds and smells of city life here in Accra, Ghana, which are becoming more and more familiar. As I close my eyes, I hear the local music of Ghana sometimes called "high life music" playing from my neighbors house along with some guys outside on the street speaking twi(local language). With the smell of Ghanaian food cooking over a fire coming through my window, I hear children laughing and playing on the dirt road as motorbikes and taxis drive by and beep their horns. Accra, Ghana is full of life and is always moving and busy. Coming from a small town in MI, to a big city where locking up at night with barbed wire over my fence and bars over my doors and windows is becoming more and more normal to me. God is good and is allowing me to adjust as time goes on. I have learned so much already and I know without a doubt God is preparing my heart of something big in the future.



I will be working at the Baby HOMe (West African Mercy Ministries) three days a week, and the other two days a week at another orphanage or care facility called Beacon House. It has been incredible to see how God has worked out my time here. I will be able to use my passion to work with people with special needs at both homes. I am so excited to start to build relationships and see improvements with the ones I am blessed to help.


What I have been praying about for many years is pursuing a degree in Physical Therapy and it is becoming more and more real to me as I stay here and see the needs around me. As I spend more and more time here working with babies such as Akos and Daniel, who are very special needs, my heart aches to want to help them more. I am currently considering going to school in September. This means that I will probably returning a lot sooner than I was originally planned. This is very hard for me, but at the same time I know God wants me to get this degree so I can pursue long term missions in the future. I have at least three years of school ahead of me and I can't see myself waiting yet another year to start. I will probably be coming back at the end of July or beginning of August of this year.



I want to make it clear that I am not giving up or wanting to call it quits here in Africa, I am simply taking the right steps toward a bigger goal. I have been putting schooling off for a while because I just "wanted to GO and help NOW!" That is what I kept on telling myself and I know I am suppose to be here at this time to help the ministry. I am so glad I came. I am learning so much being here on my own and living as a single women in a completely different culture and country. My heart has not changed to help those in need, rather is has intensified! I am only 22, but the years are flying by, and I feel it is the right time to start school again.

I see myself returning to Ghana, Africa long term or another country here in Africa after I finish school and join a mission organization. At the time I will have my physical therapy assistant degree along the passion to help the abandoned and needy.

All the babies are getting more and more precious every time I go there. I am in love with all of them! Prayer of course is needed for every one of the children at the home and their needs.

I have had and hopefully will continue tutoring Sandra before she starts school. I want to love on that girl so much. She is in need of Christs love!!







Some of the prayer requests are:
pray for families willing to adopt.
I also ask for prayer about the improvement of the babies health and physical conditions.
Prayer for my future plans and what God is asking me to do at this time.
Prayer for the McItyres, for they will be coming back to Ghana in June to stay a while.
Prayer for Akos and Daniel, that they will be able to receive physical therapy and teaching as time goes on and even after I leave!
Prayer for baby Ama, that she will be able to start on her meds soon!
Prayer for Sandra(a 13 year old girl staying here at that baby home that she will come to know Christ as her savior and know His wonderful love.




May He be Glorified,
Selina




Klink the dog, my companion at the house and keeps me safe ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment